nuance n : a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; "without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning" [syn: nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement]
EtymologyFrom the French nuance meaning "shade" or "hue".
- A minor distinction.
- Subtlety or fine
- Understanding the basics is easy; appreciating the nuances takes years.
- 1901: Alpheus Spring Packard,
Lamarck, the Founder of Evolution
- ...the richer our collections become, the more numerous are the proofs that all is more or less shaded (nuance), that the remarkable differences become obliterated...
- Swedish: nyans
subtlety or fine detail
- Croatian: nuance , osjetljivost
- Dutch: nuance , subtiliteit
- Finnish: nyanssi, vivahde
- French: nuance , subtilité
- German: Nuance
- Polish: niuans , subtelność
- Russian: нюанс (njuáns) , тонкость (tónkost’)
- Spanish: matiz
- Swedish: nyans
EtymologyFrom verb nuer and suffix -ance
Nuance can refer to the following:
- Subtle shift in color, or feeling, or meaning.
- The make of a refined or subtle distinction in ideas.
- Nuance Communications, the name of a company that sells voice and productivity software solutions.
- Nuance, the name of a 1980s dance music group.
nuance in French: Nuance
allegory, allusion, amount, arcane meaning, assumption, caliber, coloration, compass, connotation, contradistinction, cut, dash, degree, delicacy, delicate distinction, demarcation, differentia, differential, differentiation, distinction, distinctiveness, distinguishment, division, extent, fine point, grade, hairline, hairsplitting, height, hint, implication, implied meaning, import, inference, innuendo, interval, intimation, ironic suggestion, leap, level, margin, mark, meaning, measure, metaphorical sense, microscopic distinction, narrow margin, nice distinction, nicety, notch, occult meaning, overtone, particle of difference, pas, peg, period, pitch, plane, plateau, point, point of difference, presumption, presupposition, proportion, range, ratio, reach, refinement, remove, round, rung, scale, scope, segregation, separation, shade, shade of difference, shadow, soupcon, space, stair, standard, step, stint, subsense, subsidiary sense, subtle distinction, subtlety, suggestion, supposition, suspicion, symbolism, tinge, touch, tread, trichoschistism, undercurrent, undermeaning, undertone, wide margin